Friday 11 January 2013

3 weeks of Cookie houses and tuna orios

My 3 weeks of winter camp are finally over...

I actually really enjoyed it, especially when compared to summer camp.

Summer camp seemed like endless days, tiring heat and failure to teach anything meaningful, with few laughs!

Actually winter camp was endless days, freezing conditions and some meaningful lessons!

Apart from the freezing conditions and broken heaters I got to leave early on a good few days which was awesome  especially during the last week when Harvey asked me, "can you not go to work as I want to stay with you today".  I explained I couldn't but said I would try to come home early, when I walked through the door just after lunchtime he was so excited and I felt like a cool dad!  Big smiles all round.

Highs from camp were; kids sharing snacks, a good few laughs, and unusually relaxed co-teacher (for once), my growing confidence in my teaching ability, eclectic flavours during food day, flea market activity along with a few hustlers, a beggar and the student sales man who turned his $23 into $135 in 20 mins, impressing students with my knowledge of Kpop, seriously improving my treasure hunt...

Lows were; a freezing sports hall, today's crisp dumping incident (see below), a freezing classroom, bullying in grade 3....


(-) Crisp dumping incident
During the grade 5/6 final day snack party some 6th grade boys dropped a load of crisps all over the table floor etc and my Co-Teacher asked one boy to flush the wasted food down the toilet (not really sure why as it is dry food waste and it is unlikely it would go mouldy or smell) as we have no collection of food waste during the holiday period.  a few moments later I went to put something in my classroom and when I opened my door I noticed that the crisps had been dumped all over my classroom floor... I was pretty annoyed, just put it in the bin you little shit.  With the help of the Co-teacher we finally managed to  find out who did it, but not really why!  Pretty stupid thing to do really!

(-) Bullying Incident
I have decided to make this a separate post as it has upset me that much. It will be posted on Sunday.

(+) Tuna Oreo cookie canapés 
I can't begin to explain how weird the flavour combinations are.... tuna and chocolate, jam and tuna... JUST WRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment