Tuesday 20 August 2013

1st day at work

Yesterday was my first day at work in my new job! Officially, I am no longer a teacher. I arrived at work at 9 as instructed to meet my boss outside. Actually  I arrived at 8:30 waited by the station and arrived at work at 8:50. She was waiting for me outside (I don't understand Koreans and time: Koreans are late, for everything... it is even called Korean Time when you are late! ~ except for meetings when it is very rude. I guessed 10mins early would be acceptable!~ who knows?

The first thing my boss asked me was "aren't you sick?" ...  "your heart, did you treatment... recover?" [sic] before starting this job it was required that I had a medical with the results being sent to the company so my intial thought was that the result was less than perfect!

It turns out the confusion was from 2 weeks earlier, when I had seen my boss on her way to work, near the office. She was surprised to see me and during our breif conversation I told her I had been to the hospital for my medical check...

When I arrived at my desk there were 2 monitors a trusty samsung magic station (pc), a paris baguette bag containing various cables and stationery (post it notes, craft knife, pen holder, 2 pens, mechanical pencil and lead refills) a new keyboard and mouse in a retail box, a stainless steel flask mug, and a pot plant!

I was told to set my computer up, this task was interupted by an angry outburst from the CEO and a gathering in the meeting room to introduce myself to the team and vice versa. The whole time I sweated... A LOT! I don't know if it was caused by nerves (I felt okay) but I hope I don't sweat like that again today... We have a free evening meal at work (lunch is 3,000₩ /£1.60) so at 6 we had dinner, afterwards I was told I could "go home early, as it was my first day" (6 is my contracted finish time!) My first day at a korean company... was finally over!

No comments:

Post a Comment