Wednesday 16 May 2012

P E R S O N A L S P A C E !!!!!

P E R S O N A L     S    P    A    C   E   !!!!!
I have always kind of had an issue with personal space... I mean in.a "its mine get out of it" kind of way! Korean people seem to have no concept of this. This is obvious by the way boys and even grown men will be seen holding hands and wrapping their arms around each other in public without any sense of it bekng wierd. It will probably be "never" that there is a time when I am comfortable with the thought of talking a walk by the river holding hands with a guy! But I have noticed that even after 3 months here I no longer really notice it but become increasinly shocked when a young couple embrace on the subway!

Any way back to personal space...

Link: toilet etiquette for men!

Korean men will always stand at the urinal next to you even if others are empty at a safe distance. They will seem to peer at you will you are taking a piss and they will think its ok to start a conversation or make excessively loud noises of relief at taking a leak... 

In school multiply this by 10! 
The girls shout hello from their toilet block next door while I take a leak! And expect an answer!!!
And yesterday while in midflow at the urinal next go the window I heard "Hi Rob teacher" and looked up to see 4 boys waving at me from the building opposite. I mean come on I am taking care of my business here!

The subway into Seoul is crowded and this is when i feel the invasion of my personal space the most "Do you have to stand with your arms around me? With your leg between mine. breathing down my neck"  Who is wrong? why are we so protective of our personal space? This is definitely a cultural difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment