Monday 3 December 2012

Who am I?

As a native English teacher in a Korean public school - understanding your position within the school hierarchy can sometimes be difficult, 

Last week - My co-teacher was late to one of my 5th grade classes and  one girl in a state of mild panic asked me "Where is the Main teacher" - Low blow? Maybe not Korean co-teacher and assistant teacher are not synonymous terms. 

In the Native English teacher community I hear about a variety of different levels of responsibility required of foreign teachers, from "No lesson planning or teaching, only games" to "My co-teacher is never here" Or "My co-teacher may as well not be here" - My own situation is somewhat different but I will save it for another post depending on where I end up working next year.

In Japan we are referred to as guests, cosy - no responsibility with that title!

Today, a 3rd grade student was looking for my Co-Teacher and asked me - 

"English teacher, where?"

I replied, correcting her sentence 

"Where is the English teacher? - I am here (Raising my hand)" 

She looked confused and said "No, the ENGLISH teacher!" 


If my Co teacher is the English teacher, who am I?...



Oh yeah... I am that person who comes to English class and stands at the front and talks funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment