Tuesday 27 November 2012

1st class in the 5th Grade


I have a class of 5th graders who are the most wonderful class of students to have ever attended an Elementary school. 

 They walk into class and casually talk and the usual messing about while I greet them at the door, the bell rings and I walk back to the front of the class as I turn around they are all sat in their seats looking straight ahead in complete silence waiting for the lesson to start.

The result is that in the lesson we cover the book work, extend the language learning beyond that covered in the book, today we were studying about shopping and the book unit doesn't cover numbers but a couple of students asked about bigger numbers...

만 원 - 10 thousand, then 십 만 =100,000, 백만 원 = 1,000,000 and they asked what was next so I wrote them on the board I only went up to  1015 = Quadrillion, but for that they gave me a sincere round of applause, which I found highly amusing...  Anyway my point is we were able throughout the lesson to extend the learning from outside the boundaries of the textbook (and this is not the first time), have a bit of fun at the same time and still have time to play a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment