Thursday 8 November 2012

New Books and basic skills lesson


 


New Books and basic skills

We have just had a set of 32 dictionaries delivered to my school at 30,000 Won each I thought we had better start using them. 

So, I did a dictionary skills class with 5th grade today, just to give them the basic skills practise. 


I gave them all a dictionary and after checking they had all used a dictionary before, I got them all to find the work dictionary, when they had found it I asked them what page it was on, then got them to tell me the Korean meaning of the word and I went through the examples of word usage in the dictionary.


The activity


I then split the class in to two teams and explained the activity.
1352359597027.jpg
  1. I will call out a word
  2. find it in the dictionary as fast as you can
  3. raise your hand and shout out the page number
  4. I will then ask you to tell me
    1. the meaning
    2. read out the 1st example sentence
  5. Your team gets 1 point

I gave them the following words to find, selected (almost) at random:
  1. impact
  2. forgive
  3. transform
  4. wink
  5. container
  6. memory

Surprisingly engaging activity

They really enjoyed the activity far more than I expected. They wanted to continue playing, which really surprised me.  I was so proud of them, even my noisy classes (2 & 5) got on with the follow up 'individual' activity to find and write the definition of 12 key vocabulary words for Lesson 12 of the text book.



Never a dull moment

The dictionaries that we have also have a Ko -Eng supplement. One girl stayed behind to look up the word "Chubby" so that she could say "Rob teacher that is you..." 

Thanks a lot, she learnt a new word, at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment