Saturday 21 May 2011

The decision and some of the so far....

The decision

I have been cautiously considering moving to Korea since .. well since I met Ji Gong really but there always seemed to be a reason not to... but with (persistent) gentle persuasion from Ji Gong, I finally arrived at a place in my mind where I felt I could actually do this.

Lets wind back a few years <<<<

I left school did a eurorail trip around Europe... there is a number of good stories in this adventure somewhere... I went to the local technical college and really wanted to study journalism I didn't get on the course I wanted and took my 2nd choice... a diploma in media studies. After completing this course I quickly found that it was not enough to get me a job in media production so I was faced with a choice study for a degree or get a job. By this point in my life I had decided that beer and nightclubs were more my thing rather than lectures and exams so I swerved university (Who needs a degree these days anyway, my youthful bravado told me - I was later to be proved wrong) so I started to work for a large multinational finance company in a document storage department, I transferred to a call centre role became a supervisor and in what was the best financial decision I have ever made bought a house, aged 21.

I was faced with another decision caused by a company restructure, apply for my own job or leave. Being asked to attend an interview for the job I had been doing for several years left a bitter taste in my mouth so I decided to part company with my employer and during a dazed and confused walk home from an all night party with my best friend we decided to go and work in spain. 2 months later I arrived in Salou (41°04'40"N 1°07'44"E) (There is a whole book of stories in this one) I ended up in Australia and over a game of pool and an informal English lesson I met Ji Gong.

>>>>>> Fast forward now to 2005...

married for one year and working for Europe's largest motor auction group in trade sales of premium German Automobiles. I decided... / was persuaded to get a degree. This is the first requirement for teaching English in Korea.

I had a passing interest in computers and networks so decided to study a Bachelors degree in computing and information systems. I graduated in 2008 and in this time as well as achieving a 1st class degree with honours I had paid of the mortgage on my first house and also the best thing that has ever happened to me.... We were blessed with the birth of our first child Harvey in the summer of 2007!

I returned to work full time with an uplift in pay and a new role as a business analyst courtesy of my degree
>>> fast forward 2 years...

... Bundle of joy number 2 a beautiful (if slightly chubby, baby girl) arrives in the summer of 2009, and house number 1 is sold and number 2 purchased.

>>> A year later

I started seriously thinking about moving to Korea, I had the degree and had been focussing on the children... and to be honest my relationship with my wife was suffering... In October 2010 I decided to start a CELTA Course. I chose the Part time option, twice a week and I got to leave work early (thanks guys). The only downside was it was a 45 Min drive away in Cambridge. I also started teaching English at Cambridge Korean Church to get some additional hands on experience. I passed the CELTA and really enjoyed the experience.

Well that has bought you up to speed, I will now blog as I go through the process of moving to Seoul, South Korea...

No comments:

Post a Comment