Monday 12 March 2012

Special Needs!

I found out I have a special needs kids in one of my sixth grade classes... I found this out when I tried to find out why he wasn't doing the  tasks in class.  It wasn't initially obvious... sometimes the inane grinning at my requests in English are due to the novelty of  my being a foreignerand not having a high level of Enlish rather than learning difficulties so i persevered, until the rest of the kids and finally the teacher told me that he "just cant do it, he is not normal"  .

I feel some kind of responsibility, but I guess that responsibility lies with the school not me.  they have a special education program for him in which covers Korean and maths but not english.  It seems unfair and pointless to put him through so many hours a week of classes if he is getting no benefit from it... I dont want to exclude him I want to find a way of including him.  I know there is a special care teacher at the school as  I answered the phone once when she called and she seemed to speak English quite well.  Maybe I will message her about a plan for him...

I was quite surprised that it wasn't mentioned before.


No comments:

Post a Comment