Thursday 12 September 2013

Office gossip

No matter where you work, the office is an interesting place. The dynamics are always off kilter, which kind of makes sense a group of people with different personalities placed in a office, rather than a group of people with similar interests as you normally get with friends... and this provides a lot of quirky behaviour and general fun  Of course you get people who feel they have found soul mates and it is always nice to extend the opportunity to make friends.  And there is always office gossip.  As a foreigner with limited skills in the local language it is difficult to catch the gossip of my current work place... that is of course I am the centre of it, and especially if someone wants to try to source more information.  Don't get me wrong - I love a bit of office gossip!

The story goes like this, I had to attend some company presentations yesterday and I popped outside after lunch, just to kill time... As I came back in the building I was thinking about coffee to get me through the afternoon sessions and thought that I should get some for my colleague who was with me, the problem was I didn't have ~ number and our office is on the 7th floor.  I have another colleague's number because she asked me for it so she could send me the photo of our team at the corporate event, the previous day.

My message went like this; ~씨 , sorry I don't have ~'s number.  Can you ask ~ if he wants coffee ... you too!


You too! -  I was being polite - imagine the other scenario. Can I have ~ number I am going to buy him coffee, thanks for giving me his number, you get nothing... (funny, right)

So they came and I bought coffee...

Today my other colleague followed me on the stairs so I ended up buying coffee, (again) then the interrogation started... 
A: oh I heard you invited ~ and ~ for coffee yesterday!!!!
ME: Er,,, kind of (invited, hmm) well I was in presentations with ~ so I thought ~ might need coffee. I don't have ~ number, but as you know I have ~ number because blah blah blah... tuesday.
A: yeah I thought so
ME: (smile)
A: yeah well ~ is very pretty, don't you think... and cute and blah and blah... and young
ME: er, yes... (?)

A: Everyone thought it was weird, how can you guys communicate?
ME: huh (?)

Blah blah blah...

A: Men don't like older women, do they?
ME: (?)

LOL, so funny... So I guess everyone is talking about this small insignificant offer of coffee.. and that my friend is how office gossip starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment