Monday 21 October 2013

2 days 1 night - Company Workshop Part 2

2 days 1 night - Company Workshop Part 2: The Bus trip!

I have decided to blog about first company workshop / trip in several posts - here is part 2

I  arrived at work at around 8:30 to make sure I had enough time to find the right bus and be ready for the highlight (repeatedly) departure time of 8:50am.

As we waited for the bus I soon realised that this was 8:50am Korean time which means anytime after 8:50... as 9:40 came and went I wondered what was going on - I later found out that a total of 5 people had not shown up for the buses, of which there were a total of 9.  As the trip was mandatory I think some people were either close to death or had decided to drive...

The bus was definitely Korean style, complete with a quiz, Bingo, self introductions and Karaoke, No I didn't sing - although I did win a prize for my 자기 소개 (self introduction). Which went like this:

내 이름은 로버트 오클리입니다
나는 GPC 팀입니다    [sic]*
만나서 반가워요

Not grammatically correct and hardly eloquent - but I guess as a foreigner, you get points for trying!

The translation is:

My name is Robert Oakley
I am GPC Team [sic]*
Nice to meet you
 -  ( I am!!! - I work in the.. (>_;) Oh well there is always next time to make a first impression!)

- Everyone was apparently touched by the fact that I spoke in Korean The person who followed me made some comment about me speaking Korean but I couldn't quite catch what he said - The prize was a child sized mirror and comb!!! - My daughter definitely appreciated it more than me.

An hour late departing and saw us arrive very late for the senior management presentation and opening ceremony (Which then resulted in a later than planned lunch, at the delightful Oak Valley resort  (오크밸리 리조트).

Our late arrival at the resort and the result of several cups of coffee before departure I found myself DESPERATE to use the men's room and as the bus pulled into the car park I an one of my colleagues were off the bus despite the bus leader and MC trying to give some arrival instructions - he must of seen the desperation in my face and allowed me to pass.  I rushed to the resort facilities and while taking care of my business a queue formed behind me of 9 bus loads of men (Ok there are a lot of women at the company too, but you get the point)!


I will post part 3 shortly.



No comments:

Post a Comment