Monday 28 October 2013

Unusual (Korean language ~ English) Konglish "False Friend"


False friends are pairs of words or phrases in two languages or dialects (or letters in two alphabets) that look or sound similar, but differ significantly in meaning.

Normally you get false friend is related languages - like English and European, My favourite example is Pregnant in spanish, which is - embarazada... spanish learners of English can be confused when being told not to be embarrassed to stand up in class... etc

However, today the weather is much colder so I wore my Audi S-Line jacket... on arriving at work my chinese colleague was intrigued as to why my jacket had S-Line written on it.

As all body and image conscious Koreans know - S-line refers to the 'ideal' voluptuous body shape....

I felt uncomfortable all day with my jacket on the back of my chair advertising my 'S-Line'.

No comments:

Post a Comment